Malicious hackers are targeting people in the UK with a dangerous computer virus called Zeus v3 to wipe out bank accounts. Zeus v3 has been coined as “the most dangerous trojan virus EVER!”
Thousands of people in the UK have already had their bank accounts drained by this new and highly sophisticated trojan computer virus.
The Zeus v3 trojan virus has been found on legitimate websites, and not confined to pornographic or gambling websites.
The cyber criminals have yet to be caught, still progressing, and all online banking customers should beware!
It was discovered by M86 Security Labs, based in California. This virus has been traced to a server in eastern Europe.
Here's How the Zeus v3 Trojan Virus Works:
- On an unprotected computer, this virus secretly installs itself.
- This virus lies dormant until you access your online bank account.
- Once you've logged into to your bank account, it copies your username, password and all of your online user details.
- The virus then transfers all of your money to a different bank account.
- It gives you a “false” bank balance screen, making you unaware that your cash has been stolen.
- It only transfers money if your bank balance is over $1,000.
Is the Zeus v3 Virus a Threat to the United States?
Professor Douglas Seaplane, of John Jay College for Cyber Crime Studies in New York, said “Just by visiting infected websites, malware can be downloaded onto your computer. And that was one of the attack vectors involved in this particular Zeus trojan” He then went onto say, “You can simply click on an advertisement on a website, you'll be directed to some other website than the one you just visited, and that website, that advertiser's website could easily have malware on it. And again, this was one of the vectors used by this trojan to distribute malware.”
Even if you have a protected computer, he pointed out that if it's too new of a virus it's potentially useless. It's necessary to protect your computer, but it's not sufficient. It can't do the whole job. “Zero-day attacks” could still come down onto your computer because the software you have doesn't know about it.
Tips to Help Protect Your Computer from the Zeus v3 Virus
- Make sure your anti-virus software is up-to-date.
- Set your firewalls to the highest level.
- Never open email attachments from people you don't know.
- Never open a .exe attachments (this is an executable file).
- Contact your bank immediately if you're affected.
Bottom Line: It's your responsibility to make sure your computer and/or laptop is safe!
I did find an article on how to “Find and Remove Zeus (Zbot) Banking Trojan” virus, but not sure how accurate it is for Zeus v3.
Update 08/15/2010 at 3:20pm: Thanks to Andreas of Xavier Media for pointing out that this virus can also steal your logins to Facebook, MySpace and possibly other log-in information.
We'd like to hear from you
Have you been infected by this trojan virus or know someone who has? Share your story by leaving a comment below.