Ways to Stay Safe Online: Our Shared Responsibility!
Here are more suggestions on ways to stay safe online. This is something we are all passionate about here at WP Security Lock. Even if you think you're a savvy Internet user you should still read this and take a bit of a refresher course in how to protect yourself better online.
It is our shared responsibility to help keep the Internet a safer place for EVERYONE.
Below are online safety tips for all ages.
- Enable 2-step verification. Learn how to get #2StepsAhead
- Treat your personal info like money. Value it. Protect it. Data about you and where you live, shop, etc. has value, just like money.
- Set strong and secure passwords (see Help Keep Cyber Intruders Out with a Secure Password Manager)
- Secure your devices. Use strong passwords/codes or touch ID features to lock devices and keep personal info private
- Are you looking for love online? Here are some safe online dating tips.
- I'm real big into talking to kids about cyber safety. The FTC's Net Cetera toolkit offers free resources for talking to kids about online safety this month.
- Join in the fight against online predators during Cyber Aware month by downloading the Operation Predator App on your smartphone.
- Teach all members of your household especially kids just starting out in the digital space how to keep a clean machine. Assign kids digital chores such as updating software on home devices.
- Talk to kids about online safety. Here are some conversation starters. Raise a #cyberaware kid! Here are some fun videos you both can watch together.
- And lastly, one of the biggest shopping times of the year is upon us. Read these shopping tips NOW and keep it handy all year long. Shop securely online. Make sure a site has https:// to protect your data when entering sensitive/financial information.
We should take responsibility and teach others all these ways to stay safe online.
What are you doing this month to help keep the Internet a safer place?