WordPress 3.7 was released to the public yesterday – it’s an architectural upgrade!
They’ve named this one “Basie” in honor of an American jazz pianist, organist, bandleader, and composer, Count Basie.
This release is addressing some of the most important architectural WordPress needs to date.
The official release page offers the following description of included features:
- Updates while you sleep: With WordPress 3.7, you don’t have to lift a finger to apply maintenance and security updates. Most sites are now able to automatically apply these updates in the background. The update process also has been made even more reliable and secure, with dozens of new checks and safeguards.
- Stronger password recommendations: Your password is your site’s first line of defense. It’s best to create passwords that are complex, long, and unique. To that end, our password meter has been updated in WordPress 3.7 to recognize common mistakes that can weaken your password: dates, names, keyboard patterns (123456789), and even pop culture references.
- Better global support: Localized versions of WordPress will receive faster and more complete translations. WordPress 3.7 adds support for automatically installing the right language files and keeping them up to date, a boon for the many millions who use WordPress in a language other than English.
For developers there are lots of options around how to control the new updates feature, including allowing it to handle major upgrades as well as minor ones, more sophisticated date query support, and multisite improvements. As always, if you’re hungry for more dive into the Codex or browse the over 400 closed tickets on Trac.
Be Careful About Updating
Everyone looks forward to new changes that WordPress offers within their update packages; however as a word of caution, be sure that you remember proper updating procedures:
- Backup your site – just in case there happens to be a conflict with your existing WordPress installation, plugins, themes, or other components (Save 25% on BackupBuddy with Coupon Code: WPSECURITYLOCKS).
- Read up on the details in the WordPress Release Codex.
- Ensure that everything works after upgrading. Check your site’s appearance and functionality, both in the theme and plugin features you rely upon.
As always, we’ll be watching the plugins for security issues as they update to fit WordPress 3.7. Want to check plugin compatibility yourself? Open each plugin page and look at “Compatible Up to: 3.7″. If you have any questions or comments, leave them below for discussion!
Update 10/25/2013 at 9am CST: If you are having issues with this upgrade, be sure to check the WordPress 3.7 Master List
Leave your feedback:
Have you already installed WordPress 3.7 on your website? Did you notice any compatibility issues with your plugins or theme? What’s your favorite new feature of version 3.7? Submit a comment below.
Stay awesome and secure!